Banana Donuts with Brown Butter Glaze and Toasted Coconut
No dairy, gluten, or eggs!
Thanks to our newest team member, Donna Valente, we have been able to test out a new recipe that we want to share with you! It accommodates multiple dietary restrictions or food allergies and still provides that sweet treat that donut lovers want!
Banana Baked Donuts Amended by Donna
[original recipe courtesy of www.recipes365.com]
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Servings: 8 donuts
Ingredients For Donuts:
- 1 cup (120 grams) Bobs Red Mill Gluten Free Flour
- 1/2 cup (107 grams) brown sugar packed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 overripe bananas mashed
- 2 1/2 tablespoons unsalted plant butter – melted
- Golden flax seed meal (to substitute 1 large egg) =1 tablespoon of flax seed meal + 3 tablespoons water— stir together and let sit for 5 minutes)
Ingredients For Glaze:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted plant butter
- 1 cup (113 grams) powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons non-dairy coconut cream
- Optional = coconut flakes: Use a dry frying pan on medium heat and toss and turn the flakes constantly until they turn a lovely golden brown (Watch very carefully and remove from heat as soon as they are golden brown or they will burn and not be edible). Sprinkle on top of glazed donuts (final step of instructions).
Instructions For Donuts:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F). Spray your donut mold with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl whisk together the flour, light brown sugar, salt, and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl mix the mashed bananas, melted butter, and egg. Gently fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Mix only until just combined. The batter will be thick.
- Spoon the batter into the donut pan and place the donut pan on a cookie sheet.
- Put the donuts into the pre-heated oven and bake for 17-20 minutes or until they spring back when lightly pressed.
- Remove from oven allow and allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then remove and allow to cool fully.
Instructions For Icing:
- Melt the butter in a medium-sized saucepan. It will start to foam and you will see orangy brown bits form at the bottom of the pan, this will take about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow the butter to cool slightly.
- Add the powdered sugar and vanilla and whisk until no longer lumpy. If the icing is too thick you can add small amounts of milk or heavy cream.
- Dip the tops of the donuts into the icing.
Enjoy! If you try this donut recipe let us know what you think and how it goes! We hope you enjoy them as much as we have!