In honor of World Vegan Day on November 1st…
Vegan-Friendly Simple Savory Herby Biscuits
By Chef Donna Valente
- Medium muffin tin
- Measuring bowls & spoons
- Rubber Spatula
- Ice cream scoop
- Cooking oil spray
- 8 tablespoons plant butter (1/2 cup)
- 2 cups (250 g) all-purpose unbleached flour
- 2 tablespoons (25 g) vegan golden sugar
- 2 teaspoons bacon powder
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pink Himalayan sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon each of up to 3 of your favorite dried herbs (eg, dill, parsley, basil)
- 1 cup non-dairy butter milk**
[** pour one tablespoon of either lemon juice or vinegar into a one cup measuring cup. Add alternate milk up to one cup line and stir. Set aside until needed. Voila!! Plant-based butter milk!!]
- Place oven rack in center of oven and preheat to 425 degrees F.
- Melt plant butter in microwave-safe vessel in 15 second increments and then set aside to cool.
- Spray muffin pan with cooking oil spray.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda in large bowl and whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Add nutritional yeast and herbs.
- In a large measuring bowl, pour prepared vegan butter milk and then whisk. Whilst whisking, slowly drizzle in the melted plant butter until combined. Don’t worry if it separates.
- Pour buttermilk/butter mixture slowly into the flour mixture and gently fold together with a spatula or spoon until ingredients are just combined. Beware!! Over-mixing may result in tough dense rubber biscuits!
- Scoop batter with ice cream scoop evenly into muffin cups and use spatula or spoon to even batter out.
- Place in preheated 425 degree F oven and bake for 10-12 minutes or until biscuit tops turn light golden brown.
- Using oven mitts, carefully remove pan from oven, place on safe surface and allow to cool for several minutes so you don’t burn your fingers. Then they should pop right out beautifully.
Serve warm with a pat of plant butter and your favorite soup, stew or chili!!
Makes 10-12 biscuits. Store in airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.