Salary: $90000 / annually Location: San Francisco, California
The SF Market is San Francisco’s original – and only – wholesale produce market. As a pillar of the Bay Area’s food economy, we are home to 23 independent produce businesses who create jobs for over 500 people and move millions of pounds of fresh produce throughout the region. The SF Market occupies 23 acres of warehouse and logistics space in San Francisco’s Bayview Hunters Point neighborhood, and is engaged in upgrading its facilities as part of its Reinvestment Plan.
As a social enterprise, we provide affordable food infrastructure and innovative programs that help hundreds of farmers, Bay Area food businesses and their communities thrive. Our diverse range of produce businesses supply the widest, best-tasting selection of fresh produce available in Northern California.
The SF Market’s mission is to connect and grow the region’s food and agriculture community from our wholesale market in the heart of San Francisco. The SF Market’s vision is that all communities in the San Francisco Bay Area have reliable access to abundant fresh produce.
The Program Manager will develop and oversee a suite of high-impact programs that support our merchants’ success and leverage The SF Market’s unique scale and position to serve as a leader in the regional food and agriculture community. This role requires a keen understanding of the unique opportunities and challenges of a social enterprise model. A successful Program Manager will have a strong aptitude for developing and managing the ideas, relationships, and processes to grow and nurture effective programs in areas such as food waste reduction, environmental sustainability, and business support for Merchants at The SF Market.
Program Development & Management (65%)
1. Food Recovery and Outreach (20%)
• Management: Support Food Recovery Project Manager in execution of award-winning Food Recovery Program, including operating as backup support when Project Manager on vacation.
• Partner Relationship Development: Represent the organization and engage with partners for Food Recovery, including merchants donating produce, community partners receiving food, funders who support the program, and relevant coalitions in the Bayview and San Francisco.
• Fundraising: Apply for, comply with, and report on grants that support the financial sustainability of the Food Recovery Program. Engage deeply with city funders and approve marketing and media approach of Food Recovery Program.
• Community Food Donations: Manage budget and purchasing produce from merchants at The SF Market for 4-5 community events in the Bayview Hunters Point neighborhood annually.
• Food Recovery Center: Lead the design and fundraising for new Food Recovery and Waste Management Center, aimed at centralizing operations for exciting next chapter in Food Recovery.
2. Sustainability (25%)
• Program Development: Drive vision of climate resilient food systems infrastructure at regional scale. Lead development of programmatic work related to energy efficiency and solar capacity of buildings, creating charging capacity for zero-emissions medium and heavy-duty trucks, and development of waste management strategy that supports merchant success.
• Fundraising: Work with Director of Fund Development to identify, develop, and pursue funding opportunities for this work, with a specific focus on leveraging opportunities for reinvestment in existing buildings and future construction through green infrastructure funding.
• Information Sharing: Two-way information sharing with Merchants at The SF Market about how upcoming environmental regulations that will impact their businesses and the resulting infrastructure needs that The SF Market can support.
3. Market Access & Merchant Support (20%)
• Tours: Lead morning tours of The SF Market for key stakeholders, particularly prospective buyers who may be new to The SF Market, local farmers who may sell to Merchants at The SF Market, and funders of this work.
• Merchant Survey: Administer the Annual Survey to gather feedback from merchant owners and managers about communications, services, business optimism, and other topics as appropriate. Examine data and present results to Staff, Board, Committees and Merchants. Work with the General Manager and SF Market staff to implement recommendations.
• Merchant Programming: Support the design, development and implementation of programming such as workshops, training, community building events to support the success of Merchant businesses at The SF Market. Send quarterly newsletter aimed at providing Merchant businesses with business-specific information and timely updates.
Operational Development (35%)
• Strategic Plan Management: Manage the implementation of the 2023-2026 Strategic Plan. This includes developing and writing the annual report out on the Strategic Plan, supporting annual work planning for committees and staff, and implementing quarterly check-ins on Strategic Plan progress for The SF Market.
• Strategy and Programs Committees: Provide administrative and strategic support to two high-functioning committees of volunteers as staff liaison. Leverage committee members’ collective experience and perspectives to oversee programmatic work and strategic plan implementation and other strategic market initiatives and decisions, respectively.
• Budgeting: Oversee program budgets and ensure all aspects of the programs run efficiently and effectively. Develop annual program budget as part of broader organizational budget process, track program expenses, assess program expenditures mid-year and make recommendations to stay on budget.
The SF Market team operates in a hybrid work environment. The Program Manager is expected to be in the office three days per week, with options for remote work the other two days.
Compensation + Benefits:
The salary range for this position is $81,341 – $90,000 depending on experience. Comprehensive and competitive benefits package, including full health benefits, retirement plan, and three weeks’ vacation in year one of employment.
To apply, submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed as they are received. We expect to move the hiring process quickly; please submit materials ASAP.