<< Back to Employment Opportunities
FarmFolk CityFolk: Communication Coordinator
Company: FarmFolk CityFolk
Hourly Rate: $28.21
Position: Communications Coordinator
Location: Team Member must be located within BC and set up to work in a virtual environment.
FarmFolk CityFolk (FFCF) has a mission to connect, collaborate, and engage to foster resilient, sustainable, and equitable food systems in BC. We have been working to inspire and equip people to eat food that nourishes themselves and the planet for over 30 years. We are BC’s oldest and largest food and agriculture charitable non-profit organization. Our programs go from seed to plate—engaging a network of farmers, seed growers, researchers, food system advocates, policymakers, community partners, chefs, and eaters. Our programs celebrate local food and connect people with the farmers who grow it. We support BC farmers to use local seed and to grow food in ways that mitigate climate change and protect biodiversity. For more information, please visit us at www.farmfolkcityfolk.ca.
Reporting to the Engagement Manager, the Communications Coordinator will support the whole team on a wide range of communications projects, and help to compellingly articulate our impact. While our specific initiatives continually evolve in response to emerging priorities, you will be very active in supporting our team by shooting and editing videos, doing interviews, designing fact sheets and graphics, and rolling content out across platforms. This role supports all departments, including our BC Seed Security Program, Strengthening CSAs, Climate Solutions, and Feast of Fields. Another key function will be to support fundraising activities and initiatives to help ensure long-term organizational sustainability.
- Plan, coordinate and facilitate initiatives to support farmers, ranchers & agricultural producers through educational tools, resources and knowledge transfer opportunities related to climate change adaption and mitigation.
- Support FFCF’s programs to enhance existing projects and initiatives based on work plans, participant feedback, emerging trends and BMPs.
- Support the development of content to Engage Eaters in climate solutions through their food choices, and to amplify the celebration, production, and consumption of local food.
- Support the development of a social media calendar, and develop general social media content for our programs and events.
- Design creative and engaging social media campaigns celebrating our Feast of Fields events and encourage event ticket sales.
- Coordinate the monthly Harvest e-Newsletter, including layout and supporting staff with copy and style editing.
- Develop and maintain web content, including copy, images, videos, and graphics.
- Assist in developing and implementing consistent brand guidelines.
- Support the development of a modern, engaging, and professional digital annual report showcasing the accomplishments of the whole team.
- Support the development and engagement of our audiences, increase our donor base, engage core supporters, and build a community of passionate individuals that can be mobilized for change.
- Assist with the planning, development & implementation of a variety of communications campaigns.
- Support the ongoing collection and evaluation of data and analytics to refine tactics.
- Make program cost requests to the Engagement Manager.
Assist with grant and proposal writing and initiatives, and support related tracking and reporting.
- Actively participate in operations plan development, and ensure all initiatives align with the Board-approved strategic plan.
- Develop an annual work plan ensuring alignment with the Engagement Manager’s annual goals and plan.
- Support the gathering of data and stories to evaluate and celebrate program results.
- Maintain organized, clear, and comprehensive files and written procedures for all aspects of the role.
- Build and maintain strong working relationships with a wide range of vendors, stakeholders and partners.
- Support the planning and facilitation of various outreach and engagement activities
- Attend and represent FFCF at outreach events and activities, as required.
- Reinforce and model a culture of equity, diversity and inclusion in all work-related activities, interactions and communications.
- Other related duties as required to fulfill the role.
- 1+ years experience in a related role.
- Diploma or degree in communications, graphic design, web design, or a related field
- Basic photography, videography, multimedia editing, and graphic design skills. Must know the Adobe Creative Suite.
- Drone license required (can pursue after employment offer).
- Excellent writing and copy editing skills, with the ability to write persuasive, engaging content adapted across a wide variety of media.
- Aptitude for modern communications including social media and graphic design. Tech-savvy and proficient in word-processing, databases, websites, G Suite, and email.
- Organized and able to project manage multiple priorities and work to deadlines.
- Willingness to learn, commitment to personal growth and accountability, and enthusiasm for experimenting with new tactics and tools. Honest, kind, and hard-working.
- Ability to inspire, motivate, and support volunteers.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including occasional evenings and weekends. Ability to travel with expenses paid.
- Collaborative team player with a positive attitude and a commitment to excellence;
- Experience and proficiency working with remote/virtual teams;
- Must be eligible to work in Canada with a Valid BC driver’s license and regular access to a vehicle.
- Knowledge of, and passion for, sustainable food systems, sustainable agriculture, local food, and food culture.
Applications will be accepted and reviewed on an ongoing basis and the position will remain open until filled, therefore early submission is highly encouraged. The position is available immediately.
Benefits of Working with FarmFolk CityFolk:
- Remote work-from-home environment with a monthly WFH allowance
- Flexible work schedule beyond core organizational commitments
- Potential for growth and salary progression
- One week paid December office closure
- Ten statutory plus two additional paid days off every year
- Paid community volunteerism opportunities
- Annual paid professional development opportunities for each staff member
- Team-wide paid professional development and training opportunities
- A workplace where your experience and voice are valued
- A staff team of diverse backgrounds and experiences that is committed and passionate about sustainable food systems, agricultural-related climate action and working to embed decolonization and EDI practices in all aspects of our work
Wage: $23.08 – $28.21/hour (commensurate with qualifications & experience) + 4% in lieu of paid vacation time, 37.5 hrs/week.
Start date: ASAP. This is a 12 month contract, with the possibility of extension.
This role is funded by ECO Canada’s Digital Skills For Youth (DS4Y) program and the successful candidate must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or refugee in Canada, under 30 years of age, and a post-secondary graduate.
The successful candidate will need a reliable and fast internet connection. $50/month work from home monthly allowance provided. All necessary software will be provided.
FFCF staff and board are committed to an anti-oppression learning journey, and committed to integrating justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion principles into our work and workplace culture. We humbly acknowledge that we have a long way to go. We encourage BIPOC, LGBTQIA2S+, and individuals from diverse communities to apply.
How to Apply
In order to apply, email Julia Zado, Engagement Manager at email@example.com
- Use the subject line ‘Communications Coordinator’
- Send one pdf file containing both your cover letter and resume.
- Use the file name ‘Communications Coordinator – First Name Last Name’
- If you prefer, feel free to submit a 1-3 minute video or audio introduction instead of a written cover letter, or as a supplement to your written application. Include the video or audio introduction as a link in your application email
We thank all applicants for their interest but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.