<< Back to Employment Opportunities
Detroit People’s Food Co-op (DPFC): Grocery Store Center Manager
Company: Detroit People's Food Co-op (DPFC)
Salary: $40698 / per year
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Detroit People’s Food Co-op (DPFC) is seeking experienced, skilled, and values-aligned team members and managers to join their Black-led and community-owned grocery store, in Detroit’s North End Neighborhood.
To effectively supervise staff and operations in center store departments to meet objectives for sales, labor and margin, while ordering and merchandising products and products and providing a consistent, high level of internal and external customer service. Center store departments include packaged grocery, bulk foods, beer and wine, wellness (herbs, body care, supplements), and frozen foods.
· Reports To: General Manager
· FLSA Status: Non-exempt
· Supervises: Wellness Buyer, Center Store Clerks
Essential Responsibilities and Functions
- Model consistent, prompt, friendly, respectful customer service in a way that builds community and meets or exceeds DPFC standards, and motivates DPFC staff to do the same.
- Provide product information and educational materials to customers and staff.
- Ensure quick response to inquiries and concerns via email, comment box, etc.
- Understand and communicate the ‘cooperative advantage’ and the particulars of membership to shoppers and staff alike.
- Work to advance the mission of the Co-op to everyone we touch every day.
- Manage inventory, in-stock position, pricing integrity, merchandising, labor, expense control and other operational processes to meet DPFC standards and financial goals.
- Price products to achieve margin and sales goals, while maintaining a competitive image.
- Ensure department staff have tools and equipment needed to perform department tasks, and maintains department tools and equipment.
- Ensure that all department areas are clean, well ordered, safe for customers and staff, and meet health standards.
- Set stocking priorities to ensure shelves are fully stocked and rotated for freshness. Stocks as needed.
- Ensure that unsellable items are returned or otherwise properly disposed of, following established procedures.
- Hold high food safety standards including proper product receiving, product handling, and monitoring of cooler and freezer temperatures, alerting GM of any potential malfunctions.
- Follow established procedures for handling equipment breakdowns. Advises GM of equipment problems/needs.
- Actively work to motivate the center store team: lead regular huddles and meetings, ensure department communication is efficient and effective, and support all team members in achieving department goals.
- Set performance, productivity, and service standards for all department staff; coach and discipline employees as needed to ensure department standards are met.
- Lead center store team in quarterly inventory counts.
- Work with the GM to ensure center store department products and purchasing strategies are aligned with DPFC’s strategic goals.
- Serve as NCG Promo Liaison and oversee execution of NCG purchasing programs in accordance with program requirements, including but not limited to Co+op Deals, Co+op Basics, and Core Sets.
- Evaluate suppliers and products to ensure that the Co-op product selection is always interesting and relevant to our shoppers’ desires.
- Ensure product orders are sufficient to meet department in-stock minimums. Develop alternative strategies for in-stock levels when necessary.
- Receive orders and obtain credits following established procedures.
- Maintain department receiving and invoice logs, as well as any other records required by pricing and accounting team weekly, monthly and quarterly.
- Keep accurate shrinkage records for center store department products.
- Negotiate with suppliers for favorable prices, terms, quality and delivery of products.
- Review departmental financial reports with GM and takes corrective action as needed.
- Achieve sales goals with abundant, quality displays of seasonally appropriate product and promotions
- Assist with development and execution of center store department promotions, in coordination with GM and Marketing Coordinator.
- Plan engaging displays that drive shopper satisfaction based on projected sales volumes, promotions, and NCG promotional and core sets program requirements.
- Ensure current, accurate prices are in the POS system.
- Ensure department price & informational signage is accurate and timely.
- Hire, develop and train talented employees. Hire and terminate with approval of GM.
- Provide on-the-job training. Follow-up with employees to evaluate their learning process experience.
- Supervise department schedule, leave requests and payroll.
- Supervise, train and develop team members in accordance with DPFC policies and procedures, and develop SOPs for department functions.
- Maintain communication with employees through regular meetings, logs, and direct correspondence.
- Demonstrate leadership by providing honest feedback, coaching, mentoring and recognition.
- Conduct timely performance evaluations and pay reviews.
- Follow disciplinary action process as needed per established store policy, document.
- Ensure the staff is outfitted in clean, proper uniforms including hair restraint and name badges.
- Maintain a weekly employee labor schedule, ensuring hours are aligned with targeted labor cost.
- Achieve sales goals with abundant, creative displays of seasonally appropriate product and promotions.
- Supervise, train and develop team members in accordance with DPFC policies and procedures.
- Evaluates department conditions and operations to reinforce strengths while developing and implementing improved practices and procedures.
- Ensures company standards for safety, proper food handling practices, sanitation and productivity are maintained.
- Work with GM to develop annual strategic & tactical plans for the department.
- Works with GM in setting sales, margin, and labor goals for department.
- Visits other stores in the market for price comparisons, product and merchandising ideas. Reads trade journals to keep abreast of developments in industry.
- Performs other tasks assigned by GM.
The physical requirements described here are those that an employee must meet, with or without reasonable accommodation, to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Ability to use computer keyboard, monitor, mouse, telephone, and various office equipment continuously.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 30 pounds frequently.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds occasionally.
- Ability to be present in assigned work area for up to 3 hours without rest
- Ability to bend, stoop, squat, kneel, climb stairs or ladder.
- Ability to reach above shoulder height occasionally.
- Ability to talk and hear to communicate with customers.
- Finger and hand dexterity with ability to grasp and hold items of different sizes.
- Vision ability – close, distance, peripheral vision and depth perception.
The work environment described here is representative of the conditions an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Frequent exposure to cold, hot, wet or humid conditions.
- Exposure to fumes, airborne particles, hazardous materials ranging from natural to chemical (store products, cleaning products, scents from working in a public setting).
- Handling objects that have been handled by the public.
- Frequently performs work standing on cement floors.
- May work occasionally in temperature extremes (walk-in freezer, outside warehouse, hot kitchen, etc.).
- Noise level in the store is usually moderate to loud.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily, with or without reasonable accommodation. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
- At least three years of experience in the retail grocery industry, including at least two years of progressive purchasing & management experience.
- Excellent communication skills and willingness to work as part of a team; ability to communicate effectively with customers.
- Excellent leadership skills with demonstrated abilities to resolve problems and to understand and support the importance of structure, organization, policies and procedures.
- Knowledge and familiarity of Microsoft Office products (Excel, Word, & Outlook)
- Experience using electronic inventory & Point of Sale Software
- Ability to follow instructions and procedures, work without direct supervision on a variety of tasks simultaneously, and delegate tasks and objectives to subordinates.
- Ability to visually examine products for quality and freshness.
- Knowledge of natural foods industry preferred.
How to Apply
Link to Apply: https://recruiting.paylocity.com/Recruiting/Jobs/Apply/2102620