<< Back to Employment Opportunities
Detroit People’s Food Co-op (DPFC): Fresh Departments Manager
Company: Detroit People's Food Co-op (DPFC)
Salary: $40698 / per year
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Detroit People’s Food Co-op (DPFC) is seeking experienced, skilled, and values-aligned team members and managers to join their Black-led and community-owned grocery store, in Detroit’s North End Neighborhood.
To effectively supervise staff and operations in fresh departments to meet objectives for sales, labor and margin, while ordering and merchandising products and products and providing a consistent, high level of internal and external customer service. Fresh departments include produce, meat/seafood, and refrigerated/dairy.
- Reports To: General Manager
- Supervises: Produce Buyer, Fresh Clerks
- FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Essential Responsibilities and Functions
- Model consistent, prompt, friendly, respectful customer service in a way that builds community and meets or exceeds DPFC standards, and motivates DPFC staff to do the same.
- Assist customers with product questions and special orders. Offer samples and suggestions for purchase and preparation in a friendly, courteous manner.
- Ensure quick response to inquiries and concerns via email, comment box, etc.
- Understand and communicate the ‘cooperative advantage’ and the particulars of membership to shoppers and staff alike.
- Work to advance the mission of the Co-op to everyone we touch every day.
- Manage inventory, in-stock position, pricing integrity, merchandising, labor, expense control and other operational processes to meet DPFC standards and financial goals.
- Price products to achieve margin and sales goals, while maintaining a competitive image.
- Ensure department staff have tools and equipment needed to perform department tasks and maintain department tools and equipment.
- Ensure that all department areas are clean, well ordered, safe for customers and staff, and meet health standards.
- Set stocking priorities to ensure shelves are fully abundant and rotated for freshness. Cull, trim, wash, bundle/pack, and stock as needed.
- Ensure that unsellable items are returned or otherwise properly disposed of, following established procedures.
- Hold high food safety standards including proper product receiving, product handling, and monitoring of cooler and freezer temperatures, alerting GM of any potential malfunctions.
- Follow established procedures for handling equipment breakdowns. Advises GM of equipment problems/needs.
- Actively work to motivate the fresh department team: lead regular huddles and meetings, ensure department communication is efficient and effective, and support all team members in achieving department goals.
- Set performance, productivity, and service standards for all department staff; coach and discipline employees as needed to ensure department standards are met.
- Lead fresh team in monthly and quarterly inventory counts as appropriate.
- Work with the GM to ensure that fresh department products and purchasing strategies are aligned with DPFC’s strategic goals.
- Coordinate purchasing for special deals and promotions to ensure adequate and timely supply of promoted products using Fresh Deals. Liaison with Co+op Deals program.
- Evaluate suppliers and products to ensure that the Co-op product selection is always interesting and relevant to our shoppers’ desires.
- Ensure product orders are sufficient to meet department in-stock minimums. Develop alternative strategies for in-stock levels when necessary.
- Oversee receiving of orders and obtain credits following established procedures.
- Maintain department receiving and invoice logs, as well as any other records required by pricing and accounting team weekly, monthly and quarterly.
- Keep accurate shrinkage records.
- Negotiates with suppliers for favorable prices, terms, quality and delivery of products.
- Reviews departmental financial reports with GM and takes corrective action as needed.
- Achieve sales goals with abundant, creative displays of seasonally appropriate product and promotions
- Assist with development and execution of fresh department promotions, including Fresh Deals, in coordination with GM and Marketing Coordinator.
- Plan engaging displays that drive shopper satisfaction based on projected sales volumes, promotions, and NCG promotional and core sets program requirements.
- Ensure current, accurate prices are in the POS system and accurate, up-to-date PLUs at registers.
- Ensure department price & informational signage is accurate and timely.
- Hire, develop and train talented employees. Hire and terminate with the approval of GM.
- Provide on-the-job training. Follow-up with employees to evaluate their learning process experience.
- Supervise department schedule, leave requests and payroll.
- Supervise, train and develop team members in accordance with DPFC policies and procedures, and develop SOPs for department functions.
- Maintain communication with employees through regular meetings, logs, and direct correspondence.
- Demonstrate leadership by providing honest feedback, coaching, mentoring and recognition.
- Conduct timely performance evaluations and pay reviews.
- Follow disciplinary action process as needed per established store policy, document.
- Ensure the staff is outfitted in clean, proper uniforms including hair restraint and name badges.
- Maintain a weekly employee labor schedule, ensuring hours are aligned with targeted labor cost.
- Attend and fully participate in huddles, and leadership and all-staff meetings; lead regular department meetings.
- Evaluates department conditions and operations to reinforce strengths while developing and implementing improved practices and procedures.
- Ensures company standards for safety, proper food handling practices, sanitation and productivity are maintained.
- Work with GM to develop annual strategic & tactical plans for the department.
- Works with GM in setting sales, margin, and labor goals for department.
- Coordinate with Marketing Coordinator to set up tours of local farms for staff education and to increase marketing opportunities.
- Visits other stores in the market for price comparisons, product and merchandising ideas. Reads trade journals to keep abreast of developments in industry.
- Performs other tasks assigned by GM.
Physical Job Requirements
The physical requirements described here are those that an employee must meet, with or without reasonable accommodation, to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Ability to use computer keyboard, monitor, mouse, telephone, and various office equipment continuously.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds frequently.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 75 pounds occasionally.
- Ability to be present in assigned work area for up to 3 hours without rest
- Ability to bend, stoop, squat, kneel, climb stairs or ladder.
- Ability to reach above shoulder height occasionally.
- Ability to talk and hear to communicate with customers.
- Finger and hand dexterity with ability to grasp and hold items of different sizes.
- Vision ability – close, distance, peripheral vision and depth perception.
- Ability to read register screen and product and shelf labels.
The work environment described here is representative of the conditions an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Frequent exposure to cold, hot, wet or humid conditions.
- Exposure to fumes, airborne particles, hazardous materials ranging from natural to chemical (store products, cleaning products, scents from working in a public setting).
- Exposure to and potential handling of fresh foods including meats and seafood.
- Handling objects that have been handled by the public.
- Frequently performs work standing on cement floors at the cash register.
- May work occasionally in temperature extremes (walk-in freezer, outside warehouse, hot kitchen, etc.).
- Noise level in the store is usually moderate to loud.
Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily, with or without reasonable accommodation. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
- Knowledge of organic and commercial growing practices, and organic certification regulations
- Experience maintaining food safety environment to the highest standard
- Customer service experience serving the public
- Experience supervising a team
- Familiarity with natural foods
- Experience in developing systems and procedures
- Ability to read and manage department financial statements
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs
- Cash handling experience in a retail business
- Communications skills: good listening, clear instructions
- De-escalation skills
- Accuracy, attention to detail
- Ability to handle multiple demands and stay calm
- Ability to project an outgoing, friendly personality
- Regular, predictable attendance
- Willingness and ability to grow to meet the changing requirements of the job
How to Apply
Link to Apply: https://recruiting.paylocity.com/Recruiting/Jobs/Apply/2102708