<< Back to Employment Opportunities
Detroit People’s Food Co-op (DPFC): Food Service Director
Company: Detroit People's Food Co-op (DPFC)
Salary: $50873 / per year
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Detroit People’s Food Co-op (DPFC) is seeking experienced, skilled, and values-aligned team members and managers to join their Black-led and community-owned grocery store, in Detroit’s North End Neighborhood.
To ensure an organized, smooth-running, profitable prepared foods department and provide a wide variety of prepared foods, baked goods, and specialty cheeses that appeal to an ever-expanding customer base. Effectively work with local and national suppliers and manage the kitchen team to meet department objectives for sales, margin, labor and customer satisfaction.
- Reports To: General Manager
- FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
- Supervises: Kitchen Leads, Kitchen Clerks
Essential Responsibilities and Functions
- Model consistent, prompt, friendly, respectful customer service in a way that builds community and meets or exceeds DPFC standards and motivates DPFC staff to do the same.
- Train employees to achieve sales and consistent service by delivering consistent quality, selection and variety in a timely fashion.
- Train staff to assist any customers within the store.
- Oversee an ongoing sampling program to highlight specials, drive the business and maintain excitement within the prepared foods department.
- Ensure quick response to inquiries and concerns via email, comment box, etc.
- Understand and communicate the ‘cooperative advantage’ and the particulars of membership to shoppers and staff alike.
- Work to advance the mission of the Co-op to everyone we touch every day.
- Participate in targeting sales, labor and margin goals for the deli department in conjunction with the General Manager.
- Develop and implement strategies to control labor and direct costs; maintaining a level of shrink at or below the department goal.
- Review departmental financial reports (sales, labor, margin, turns and capital expense) and implement corrective action to achieve goals as needed.
- Conduct regular price comparisons of local competition.
- Research, develop and cost new recipes.
- Create seasonal prepared foods menus (summer/spring, fall/winter). Plan menu for excitement and variety. Combine taste, nutrition and eye appeal.
- Maintain bakery and specialty cheese selections for freshness, seasonality, and quality.
- Ensure the POS system and scales are accurate, and information is up to date with current prices. Ensure cashiers have PLUs for any unpackaged items.
- Provide an accurate and timely prepared foods and bakery department inventory monthly, and specialty cheese inventory quarterly.
- Ensure department equipment is maintained in safe, working order.
- Address safety concerns immediately.
- Successfully complete and maintain food safety manager certification.
- Manage food quality by ensuring processes are in place, to include forecasted food ordering, safe receiving, recipe adherence, recording and analyzing production, proper food handling, time and temperature control, and sanitation processes.
- Ensure food production and display areas are maintained in sanitary, orderly condition meeting health department standards.
- Ensure staff follow proper product rotation procedures.
- Ensure deli staff is tracking all waste daily and all department transfers per procedure.
- Assist with food preparation as needed.
- Plan attractive displays with uniform signage; ensure displays are fully stocked and rotated to ensure freshness.
- Develop strategies to drive sales and improve profitability.
- Plan promotions, cross-merchandise within and across departments.
- Plan and implement weekly Fresh Deals and monthly specials and with marketing on promotion.
- Monitor industry trends.
- Order products and supplies on time to ensure inventories are maintained at optimum level.
- Work with local restauranteurs, farms, producers, bakeries and dairies to feature local products that meet DPFC’s standards and goals.
- Negotiate with suppliers for favorable prices, terms, quality, and delivery. Investigate new venders.
- Receive orders or ensure proper receiving by deli staff to safeguard food safety and ensure accuracy. Log invoices.
- Process invoices and credits and provide to DPFC accounting team in a timely fashion.
- Coordinate returns and credit from suppliers where applicable.
- Hire, develop and train talented employees. Hire and terminate with the approval of GM.
- Provide on-the-job training. Follow-up with employees to evaluate their learning process experience.
- Supervise deli department staff in day-to-day operations.
- Maintain communication with employees through regular meetings, logs, and direct correspondence.
- Demonstrate leadership by providing honest feedback, coaching, mentoring and recognition.
- Conduct scheduled performance evaluations and pay reviews.
- Follow disciplinary action process as needed per established store policy.
- Ensure the prepared foods staff is outfitted in clean, proper uniforms including footwear, hair restraint and name badges.
- Maintain a weekly employee labor schedule, ensuring hours are aligned with targeted labor cost.
- Participate in NCG prepared food programs, make use of NCG standard tools, and attend conferences when applicable.
- Attend and fully participate in huddles, and leadership and all-staff meetings; lead regular department meetings.
- Evaluate department conditions and operations to reinforce strengths while developing and implementing improved practices and procedures.
- Review product information to be shared with customers and staff.
- Ensure company standards for safety, proper food handling practices, sanitation and productivity are maintained.
- Work with GM to develop annual strategic & tactical plans for the department.
- Work with GM in setting sales, margin, and labor goals for department.
- Visits other stores in the market for price comparisons, product and merchandising ideas. Reads trade journals to keep abreast of developments in industry.
- Perform other tasks assigned by General Manager.
Physical Job Requirements
The physical requirements described here are those that an employee must meet, with or without reasonable accommodation, to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Ability to use computer keyboard, monitor, mouse, telephone, and various office equipment continuously.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 30 pounds frequently.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds occasionally.
- Ability to be present and working in assigned area for up to 3 hours without rest.
- Ability to bend, stoop, squat, kneel, climb stairs or ladder.
- Ability to reach above shoulder height occasionally.
- Ability to talk and hear to communicate with customers.
- Finger and hand dexterity with ability to grasp and hold items of different sizes.
- Vision ability – close, distance, peripheral vision and depth perception.
The work environment described here is representative of the conditions an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Frequent exposure to cold, hot, wet or humid conditions.
- Exposure to fumes, airborne particles, hazardous materials ranging from natural to chemical (store products, cleaning products, scents from working in a public setting).
- Exposure to and potential handling of fresh foods including meats and seafood.
- Handling objects that have been handled by the public.
- Frequently performs work standing on cement floors.
- May work occasionally in temperature extremes (walk-in freezer, outside warehouse, hot kitchen, etc.).
- Noise level in the store is usually moderate to loud.
Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily, with or without reasonable accommodation. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
- At least 3 years prior management/supervisory experience in deli or restaurant
- Experience cooking for restaurant, food service caterer or deli
- Excellent communication skills and willingness to work as part of a team; ability to communicate effectively with customers.
- Ability to read and interpret financial statements including margin implications.
- Ability to project an outgoing, engaging personality.
- Attention to detail & organizational skills.
- Ability to clearly explain procedures and processes.
- Demonstrated ability to multitask.
- Familiarity with nutrition and natural foods preferred.
How to Apply
Click this Link to Apply: https://recruiting.paylocity.com/Recruiting/Jobs/Apply/2103954